Which Leak Detector is Best for You?
While electronic detection methods aren’t the only way to locate a leak (refrigerant or otherwise), they’re certainly the most efficient. When your ability to fix a problem relies on finding the leak source, which leak detector should you reach for?
This product guide is designed to help tradespeople of all backgrounds (HVAC technicians, plumbers, mechanical contractors) find the instrument(s) that are going to help them get the job done right.Find the Right Leak Detector for Your Application
Combustible Gas Leak Detectors
These leak detection instruments use a metal oxide / semiconductor sensor to detect the presence of all hydrocarbons and combustible gas leaks. Both Bacharach leak detectors in this category are intrinsically safe (UL 913) for use in hazardous locations.
- Leakator® Jr – The Leakator® Jr is ideal for pinpointing combustible gas leaks in residential applications. It features audio visual leak indicators, a flexible 12 inch (30.48 cm) probe and auto-zeroing for both small and large leaks.
- Leakator® 10 – The Leakator® 10 is designed to help locate combustible gas leaks in residential, commercial and light-industrial applications. Like the Leakator® Jr, it is certified as being intrinsically safe for use in hazardous locations and features audio visual leak indicators (includes headphone jack). Additionally, the Leakator® 10 has a 20 inch (50.8 cm) flexible probe and a manual sensitivity adjustment.
Dual Gas Leak Detector
This leak detector allows users to exchange metal oxide / semiconductor and heated diode sensors to detect the presence of combustible gases and refrigerants. The semiconductor sensor used to detect combustible gas leaks is UL 913 classified for use in hazardous locations.
- Informant®2 – The Informant®2 features interchangeable sensors; making it perfect for anyone who might need to chase both refrigerant and combustible gas leaks. Its design includes a flexible 20 inch (50.8 cm) probe and auto-zeroing for both small and large leaks. Similar to both the Leakator® Jr and Leakator® 10, the Informant®2’s sensor is positioned in the probe tip which allows for greater sensitivity and faster response.
Refrigerant Gas Leak Detectors
Leak detectors in this category feature heated diode or infrared sensor technology to detect the presence of CFC, HFC and HCFC refrigerant gas leaks.
- Tru Pointe® – The Tru Pointe® is a entry-level handheld refrigerant leak detector for use in residential and commercial applications. It features a patented heated diode sensor, flexible 14 inch (35.56 cm) probe and audio visual leak indicators.
- Tru Pointe® IR – The Tru Pointe® IR uses an infrared sensor to detect refrigerant leaks as small as 0.1 oz/yr. The leak detector also features a rechargeable Li-ion battery and flexible 15 inch (38.1 cm) probe. As opposed to the heated diode sensors used by other leak detectors, the Tru Pointe® IR’s infrared sensor has a longer service lifetime, typically 10-years.
- H-10 PRO – There’s good reason for many technicians to call the H-10 PRO the best refrigerant leak detector. It’s ultra-sensitive heated diode sensor is capable of detecting leaks as small as 0.006 oz/yr, including R-410A and R-507. The leak detector also boasts a dual power configuration, a flexible 4.5 foot (1.37 m) probe, and the option to use either the auto-zeroing or manual sensitivity adjustment.
Ultrasonic Leak Detectors
Bacharach’s ultrasonic leak detectors are perfect for applications where cross-contamination, high concentration levels or high winds preclude the use of other sensor technologies. They use an electronic process called “heterodyning” to convert the ultrasonic sound of any gas leak into an audible frequency which the user can hear. In addition to aiding users in locating both pressurized / static gas leaks and vacuums, these instruments can be used to diagnose problems with steam traps, thermal expansion valves or bearings.
- Tru Pointe® Ultra – The Tru Pointe® Ultra is an entry-level ultrasonic leak detector for use in residential applications. This instrument detects / translates ultrasonic noise from 34 – 42 KHz and features a 10-LED bar graph for indicating the strength of the signal.
- Tru Pointe® 1100 – The Tru Pointe® 1100 is a digital instrument which detects / translates ultrasonic noise from 16 – 42kHz and is suitable for use in most commercial and industrial applications. The leak detector features both a 20-LED bar graph and 4-digit alphanumeric display for indicating the strength of the signal. The Tru Pointe® 1100 is sensitive to both airborne noises and those transmitted through a structure (via touchprobe).
- Tru Pointe® 2100 – The Tru Pointe® 2100 is a digital instrument which detects / translates ultrasonic noise from 16 – 42kHz and functions like an electronic stethoscope, amplifying audible noise from 0 – 10kHz. Like the Tru Pointe® 1100, this leak detector can detect noise over the air or transmitted through a structure (via touchprobe) and features both a 20-LED bar graph and 4-digit alphanumeric display to indicate the strength of the signal.
Find Your Leak Detector
It’s important that you can rely on your tools to help you get the job done right. Answer a few questions about your application and we’ll provide a list of all the Bacharach leak detectors that would be right for the job.